Does the idea of working with one of the world’s most iconic outdoor brands appeal to you? This could be your chance to get to work with a team that shares the same passion. We are now looking for a Hardware Designer at Fjällräven.
When you join Fjällräven, you join a 60-year-old legacy of commitment to a common goal: to make nature more accessible to more people. We develop timeless, quality outdoor gear, we act responsibly toward nature, animals & people and we inspire passion for outdoor life. If you were waiting for an opportunity to make an impact, this is it.
About the role
As a Hardware Designer, you will design and develop functional, sustainable outdoor products that are aligned with Fjällräven’s design philosophy. You will create designs that embrace the company’s statement to be the most premium and sustainable global Outdoor Brand. The position will work with both technical and everyday outdoor products in collaboration with fellow designers, as well as a cross-functional product development team.
The position is a full-time position and will be based in our office in Solna where you report directly to Product Development Manager R&D.
What you’ll do
- Create original designs based on function, following the aesthetics of the Fjällräven brand DNA.
- Work with all product categories within the department including Trekking Backpacks, Tents, and Sleeping bags, and Daypacks.
- Creation of design briefs based on brand strategy, market input, and seasonal goals.
- Focus on user needs thru research, observation, and field testing.
- Coordination with Material team to define fabric briefs, sourcing/development, and testing of new fabrics.
- Taking part in creating seasonal colors, ensuring new colors match/complement our core colors.
- Holding presentations in front of both large and small audiences at internal sales meetings, development presentations, and design briefs as well as external events with e.g. customers and/or press.
- Attending global trade shows and company events.
- Working closely with product developers & pattern makers to ensure wanted product functionality and end-user performance is achieved.
Who You Are
As a Hardware Designer, you've gained experience as a designer within functional and commercial designs. You're collaborative and comfortable with working in a team-based work structure. Your attitude is positive and forward-leaning: You get things done & move things forward in time to reach and deliver according to set milestones.
To succeed and thrive in this position your presentation skills both verbally and visually need to be strong, and you need to feel comfortable communicating in English, both written and spoken.
Here you get to work with a competent and skilled team, where the passion for the outdoors and our brand is seen in every piece of our work. We want you to feel and have the same passion and engagement we have when it comes to developing designs that embrace the company’s statement to be the most premium and sustainable global Outdoor Brand.
We think you would be a great match for the position if you have:
- You have a degree in Design (Apparel, Industrial, or Textile Engineering)
- You have 5+ years of work experience in Design or equivalent.
- You have a proven ability to create functional and commercial designs, as well as a profound knowledge of Hardware related construction, patterns, and textiles.
- You have demonstrated experience in the use of programs as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Keynote, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- You have experience working in Solid Works, CLO, or other 3D programs.
- You have a love and respect for nature and the outdoors and an authentic enthusiasm toward the Fjällräven brand. You are eager to share your passion and engage others to fall in love with the outdoors.
It all started with a backpack. Our founder, Åke Nordin, was called into nature and moved by the life-altering experiences he had in the outdoors. The backpack he used, however, was less inspiring. Uncomfortable and impractical, Åke was convinced there must be a better way and he set out to create it.
Born out of passion, created for necessity, Åke's spirit of innovation, respect for nature, and desire to enable others to experience the outdoors still runs through our DNA at Fjällräven. Since our humble start in 1960, a lot has changed, but our mission has not wavered. We inspire and enable people to experience nature.
Through the development of premium, lasting and timeless equipment, we keep people outside; warmer, safer, and dryer. With the right equipment, our users can stay out longer, be more comfortable and come home happier.
Our story doesn't stop there. We organize events that offer the spirit of adventure and outdoor challenge to users at all levels, effectively making nature more accessible and our users more connected. We recognize the impact of climate change and the threat it poses to the natural world. We are active partners in creating a future where outdoor lovers can enjoy nature for generations to come. Our sustainability promise is our Code of Conduct, The Fjällräven Way, and an ever-present reminder that our business decisions are always in favor of protecting and preserving nature.
What We Offer
Fjällräven celebrates diversity and is committed to continually striving to create and grow a diverse and inclusive workplace for all employees. We provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We aim to facilitate a safe, fair and kind work environment where all feel welcome and can thrive.
As an employee for Fjällräven you are offered:
- Opportunity to learn more about the outdoors, for instance, Fjällräven Classic and/or Winter education.
- Access to our spectacular satellite office located in a barn in Norra Djurgårdsstaden.
- An international work environment where initiatives are cherished.
- Marvelous colleagues share a passion for the outdoors and sustainability.
- Benefits according to the collective bargaining agreement between Unionen and IKEM
How to Apply
Apply by filling out the application form and upload your CV in PDF format. We will review applications continuously and the advert may close before the recruitment process is completed if we have moved forward to the screening or interview phase. So please send in your application today. Please note that we do not accept applications via mail in line with GDPR. We're looking forward to reading your application!